I was planning on posting this recipe in next summer with the arrival of Mangoes in market but could not resist. This is a sweet and spicy mango chutney, commonly prepared in Indian households and everyone has their own perfect blend of spices. I have tried it quite a few times and here is how I like it.
- 2 Raw Mangoes
- 1 tea spoon oil
- 1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 fenugreek seeds
- 3/4 tea spoon fennel seeds
- 3 dry red chilies
- 5 table spoons sugar
- 2 cardamon
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stalk
- 15-20 raisins
- Pinch of asafeotida
- Grate one mango and cut the other one into small cubes.
- Crush cardamon and cinnamon to make powder.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add all the spices and let the seeds splutter.
- Now add Mangoes,raisins and sugar. Sprinkle about a table spoon of water. Mix all the ingredients properly.
- Cover the pan and let the mix simmer on low flame for about 12- 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Keep checking it every few minutes, the time taken to cook may vary as per the mangoes selected.
- Let it cool to room temperature and then store in refrigerator.
- You can use jaggery with or in place of sugar.
- You can add some dates to this recipe (I am yet to try this one).
- You can use all grated mangoes or all cubes as well.
This chutney can be a nice addition to any meal. You can try it as jam on bread as well. Hope you will enjoy it.
Bye & Keep Budding.