Vada Pav- the indian burger - is a yummy spicy delightful snack popular in Western India. You will see a vada pav wala near every local station, market, school, college ... almost everywhere in Mumbai. Served hot with garlic chutney, this snack satisfies your taste buds as well as fills up for few hours. The recipe I am sharing here is mainly adapted from Tarla Dalal ji's recipe. I have already shared the recipe for Garlic Chutney here. I love to have this chutney with parathas as well.
Ingredients: (Makes 4)
- 4 Ladi Pav (the square shaped ones served with pav bhaji , here I have used Hamburger buns though)
- Garlic chutney
- Potato: 3 small, boiled
- Green chilies: 2 finely chopped
- Coriander leaves : few springs finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder : 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 4
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Besan (gram flour): heaped 1/4 cup
- Baking soda: a pinch
- Oil for tadka and frying
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. When oil is hot add mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Add ginger garlic paste and let it saute for some time. Now add asafoetida, green chilies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add mashed potatoes and salt. Cook for a minute. Finally, add coriander leaves.
- Let filling prepared above cool and .
- Meanwhile for the coating, whisk besan, a pinch of turmeric powder, pinch of baking soda, salt and water to make thick batter. I used little less than 1/4 cup water. Make sure there are no lumps. Add water just a little at a time.
- Now heat oil in a pan. Make sure the depth of oil is enough for the vadas. Make balls from the filling prepared. Here is a pic to give you an idea of the size.
- Coat the balls in batter prepared. Roll a few times to make sure they are coated everywhere.
- Deep fry till they turn golden brown. Drain oil.
- Now slice a pav. Spread some garlic chutney, place a vada in between and serve hot.
- I like to spread some tomato ketchup with garlic chutney on the pav.
- You can also warm up the pavs. I usually microwave them for just 20 seconds.
That's all for now.
Bye n keep budding.